Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Training in Shopping

One good thing about working in a multinational company is somehow it makes the world feel smaller. Doesn't matter which country you're based or where you go for training, you tend to meet the same people. Our instructor used to be based in Espoo, and he's been living in Singapore for three years now. One of my classmates is the same guy I worked with in Kuala Lumpur a year ago. Another classmate flew in from Sydney for today's 1-day course. And there's this girl who's my classmate 5 years ago under the same instructor, I think. Small world, indeed.

The day went by pretty fast. By 6:30pm, I'm back on Orchard Road doing my tourist thing. Spent the whole night browsing the shops at Funan IT Mall. LaserLight and Sembawang on the ground floor are good places to look for CDs and DVDs. There are other shops out there selling cheaper CDs, but they're dodgy. I'm not saying they're fakes - there are no counterfeit CDs anymore in Singapore. Sim Lim Square reformed a long time ago. What those cheap CDs are, they are original fakes. The CDs are original all right, but not the singers. Get my drift?

Another good CD shop is Gramophone CD along North Bridge Road. Wide selection of normal and audiophile CDs and DVDs. I was on my way back to the hotel when I chanced upon That CD Shop. Yes, that cd shop. They carry lots of imported CDs and the genres range from techno to house to lounge to chill-out to Latin to jazz to fusion. The salesladies are very knowledgeable about their music and quite helpful and friendly, too. I, um, ah, didn't buy any though. They have branches in Pacific Plaza, Tanglin Mall, and Great World City if you're interested in the salesladies, I mean, CDs.

No comments: