Monday, September 19, 2005

I Want My Broadband!

There's only three things I look for in a hotel room: a working thermostat, a comfortable bed, and free broadband. Too bad Royal Plaza on Scotts doesn't offer the last one. There's an in-room vault, but who would want to steal my Philippine passport. The free mini-bar is a nice touch, but I prefer to stay away from beer and softdrinks. The welcome chocolates are great. Looks like I'm only welcome on the first day, as they didn't replenish them the next day. There is ample lighting, the TV platform swivels, and the hair dryer is kept in the office table drawer. I could never figure that one out.

An hour later, being the quintessential tourist, I'm already prowling the streets. Some tips for fellow tourists out there:

  • Familiarize yourself with the hotel surroundings. Note the street names - might come in handy if ever you get lost. (In Singapore?!)
  • Get yourself an EZ-Link card - works on the MRT, buses, and even in McDonald's and some cafes.
  • Make the Singapore Visitors Centre your first stop. Get your fill of street maps and brochures on the latest events and happenings.
  • Check out the shops, get a feel for what you want to buy, but don't make any purchases yet. Who knows? Prices might go down the next few days or the shop next door could be selling it cheaper.
  • Wear the lightest of clothing. It's always hot and humid in Singapore. I would've gone out in shorts and singlet, but I'm not too sure if there's a fine for that or not.

No comments: