Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Lady and the Lorakeets

On my way to the post office, I passed by this lady's place, and the front of her house is being mobbed by lorakeets. I've never seen so many lorakeets in my life. I asked her if they are her pets. No, she said, they just come to her for food. They come in the morning, and again in the afternoon. She has been feeding them every single day for the past seven years. She even has a special tree/twig where she sticks apples, pears, bananas and grapes for them. Some of the pigeons try to gatecrash and get a free lunch, so she has to chase them away.

The lorakeets are so colorful and radiant, I wonder if they wash their feathers every day. They twitter non-stop, and because of their numbers, the sounds they make are quite loud. I wonder if the neighbors ever complain.

No comments: