Friday, November 21, 2008

Handel's Messiah at Our Lady of Dolours Church

The Willoughby Symphony Orchestra and Choir is performing Handel's Messiah tonight at Our Lady of Dolours Church in Chatswood tonight. The last of their concert season for this year. GF and I got there early and got a parking spot right beside the church. Had dinner at this basement Chinese restaurant that her family frequents. Food must be really good because she felt comfortable and chatty enough to share her secrets with me. I was not the same person ever since. :-)

The concert was ok. Acoustics of the church was great, but I'm not really familiar with the piece. The only part I know is the Hallelujah Chorus, courtesy of Mr. Bean. Everybody stood up during that section, as is the common practice. It was said that King George II started the tradition. Was he so moved by the performance? Did he suddenly feel the need to stretch his legs? No one knows.

No comments: