Sunday, January 27, 2008

Australian Open 2008 - Djokovic vs. Tsonga

I expected this match to be so good, I invited GF to watch the game with me at Martin Place on the big screen. We even got there an hour early and managed to secure a nice bench seat (instead of sitting on the cold stone steps). The match didn't disappoint. It was so intense, I had to be shushed and physically restrained. Tsonga's clearly the crowd favourite. When the match first started, most of the people in Martin Place were cheering for him. A few French guys were even holding placards. When he lost the second and third sets, I noticed now there were more people cheering for Djokovic. Bah!

Both players were quite good, but Djokovic's got the big-game experience. In the end, the 20-year old Serb won his first ever Grand Slam title 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6.

No comments: