Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Peranakan Dinner

After so many trips to Singapore, this is the first time I've had a Peranakan dinner. From what I was told, Peranakan (aka Straits Chinese) is a term used to refer to Malaysian Chinese or Chinese Malaysian. I took the MRT to Yio Chu Kang, then walked to my friend's flat in Castle Green. From there, we took a bus to Bukit Timah, then dinner at Ivins. A typical Peranakan dinner would probably consist of crabmeatball soap, honey pork, prawns with spinach in ginger sauce, and rice because that's what we ordered. Turns out my friend is allergic to crustaceans so I had to finish most of the dishes. For dessert, we went to another place (actually a kopitiam), and we ordered durian prata and ginger tea - only because I've never tried them before. Not too bad, but probably not the right combination.

No comments: