Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Caution! Book Crossing

I came across my first BookCrossing book today. It's Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I don't know why I picked it up because I've finished the Foundation trilogy back in my college days. And it's not like I'm going to be reading Foundation again because I don't have Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation with me at the moment. Maybe it's because you can't put a good book down.

What's BookCrossing, you ask? According to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, bookcrossing is "n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise." BookCrossing.com is basically an online book-lovers community. Members are asked to tag books with a BookCrossing label and register it with the site for a unique BCID. (The book I got is 368-2082096.) Release the book into the wild, and track it via the website. "You'll discover where I've been and who has read me, and can let them know I'm safe here in your hands. Then... READ and RELEASE me!" (That's the book talking.)

No comments: