Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The Lazy Kings

The Lazy Kings (Les Rois Faignants) is an extravagant street parade performed by the French theatrical entertainers known as Transe Express. It is based on a French fairytale, with characters such as the Witch on Wheels with her coven of Bicycle Witches, Suzerain of the Alps - searching desperately for his true love atop the Royal haystack, Mortibus Orgiac - a monarch who travels in a luxuriant hearse followed by giant skeletons and wailing burlesque mourners, Prince Hiero Nemo whose clam shell chariot is followed by a truck bearing a swishing mechanical fish in a large tank of water, Stabilof Padock - the gypsy voyager with his numerous offsprings on a rolling bed, etc.

The event has three simultaneous parades starting from different parts of Olympic Park, winding through the avenues, and converging at The Overflow. At first, I followed Padock, then Suzerain, then jumped to the other parades to maximize my photo output. I was pretty close to where the action was, but had to back out from time to time because the flares where spewing out so much ash, and I don't want to damage my camera (and my eyes). Come 9:15pm, I had to get away to join a conference call. I must've walked half a kilometer before the noise level is acceptable. The supposedly hour-long telecon dragged for another half-hour. (Great battery, that 6230.) By the I got back to The Overflow, the culminating finale involving the lazy kings atop a 20-meter-high rig is over.

No comments: