Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The Lazy Driver

Yesterday night was the final performance of The Lazy Kings at the Olympic Park. We didn't go on premiere night because we were lazier than the lazy kings. On the second night, we missed the bus, and instead of waiting for another hour, we crossed the Harbour Bridge to take a closer look at the mirror ball. So last night, we definitely had to go.

I got home from work a bit late, but a quick look at the bus timetables show that if I do it right, all the connecting bus rides should get me to Olympic Park on time. I ran all the way to the bus stop, but apparently the bus I was after has gone already. I hopped on the next bus to come along. It was the slowest bus in the whole of Australia.

Maybe it's just because I was in a rush, but I have a feeling that the driver is intentionally driving slowly just to spite me. He never went beyond second gear. He stops when the light turns yellow. (Yellow means go faster, man.) He stops at every bus stop. (Yeah, there are people getting on and off, but that's not the point.) He negotiates each roundabout properly and very slowly. (Go over 'em, mate!) At the rate we're going, he'll never encounter an accident during his lifetime. I know there's nothing I can do about it, but I can't help getting agitated. Two minutes to get to my connecting bus. I was staring hard at the back of his head, thinking Faster! Faster!, using my hidden ESP powers, but his will is too strong.

I actually saw my bus driving away, as we turned into the main road. Oh well, so much for my ESP.

No comments: