Friday, November 05, 2004

RTA Driving Exam

Took my practical driving exam yesterday at Five Docks. Looks like those 5 hours of driving lessons paid off because I actually passed on my first try. (Despite rumours that RTA always fail first-timers to collect more fees.)

The exam is just 20 minutes, but when you're the one behind the wheel, it feels much longer. The RTA representative will ask you to do a 3-point turn, a reverse parking, and a curbside parking. On top of that, you have to negotiate roundabouts, do left/right turns, stop at the STOP sign, yield at GIVE WAYs, etc. At one point, I was about to make a left turn, and an old lady was standing at the corner. Thinking she wanted to cross, and of course drivers have to respect pedestrians above all else, I stopped. The car behind me started honking, and my RTA friend said, "Don't stop here. Go now." "I thought the lady's going to cross," I reasoned. Oops, he's probably not gonna like that.

So we were cruising along nice and easy, then I had a sudden feeling something's wrong. Current speed 53, good. I hurriedly scanned the road for the speed limit. Bugger, 50! I started slowing down veeery slooowly, so that the guy won't notice, but the brake pads started making whishing sounds. Then, the 3-point turn. Didn't notice that I was doing my routine right in front of a driveway, and worse, there's a car backing out of the garage. Too late to worry now. Drive, reverse, away we go.

Thanks for letting me pass, mate!

No comments: