Friday, February 05, 2010

St. Paul's Cathedral, Bavaria and Maximilianeum

Another early dismissal. If this goes on further, I'll have to ask for a refund. Not. From the Theresienwiese station, it's just a short walk to St. Paul's Kirche. It's an early Friday afternoon, but I notice a lot of teenagers hanging around the church, preventing me from getting a good shot. Apparently, a student choir/orchestra is about to perform inside the church. Stayed around for a few minutes to enjoy the performance, then left. Took the train to Schwanthalerhohe in search of Bavaria (the statue). I figured it would be pretty big and easy to spot. Not so. I managed to circle the whole Bavariapark before I saw the Ruhmeshalle (Hall of Fame) and iron-cast Bavaria. Quite impressive in size up close. Down below and in front of the Bavaria is this wide open space, which I believe is used for the Oktoberfest celebrations. In the distance, one can clearly see St. Paul's Church.

Next item on the agenda is Max Weber Platz to see the Maximilianeum, home of a gifted students foundation and the Bavarian Landtag (state parliament). Reminds me very much of the Victor Emmanuel Monument in Rome. Took some pictures of the River Isar, then back to base.

No comments: