Saturday, July 15, 2006

Last Day in KL

Already my last day in KL, yet I still have lots of things to do. For one, I wanted to buy some cheap DVDs at Bukit Bintang, then check out the Starhill Gallery. Did a little bit of packing, then headed for the monorail. It's usually crowded on Saturday mornings, but today the platform is just packed. There's a coach waiting, but it's not going anywhere. After like half an hour of waiting, we were told the monorail is definitely grounded. There's a shuttle bus to take us to the next station, so everybody made a mad scramble for it. I waited for the next bus, yet it was still so jammed that the doors had a hard time closing.

Visited Times Square, but all the stalls selling fake DVDs are gone. Tried each and every level - definitely not there anymore. Looks like the anti-piracy cops have been doing their jobs this time. I took the escalators up and up until I reached an unfinished floor. The escalators are not powered on, the floor is plain concrete, no airconditioning, and no ceilings. I climbed up a few more floors, and from my vantage point, took some pictures of the Pudu Prison across the street.

Walked over to Sungei Wang Plaza and it's the same thing. Lots of stalls selling mobile phones, PDAs, and computer parts, but just no fake DVDs. The usual shops are there, but only blank DVD cases are on display. I saw a couple of foreigners huddled around a table flicking through a booklet of DVD covers, and I joined them. I was sort of in a hurry, so I flicked through all of the booklets and gave my list to the guy in charge. He gave me a funny look and said that the minimum order is 5 DVDs. I must've missed the fine print somewhere. I chose two more and the guy says buy 5 get 1 free. After choosing six, he tells me to come back after 20 minutes. Yeah right, just when I'm in a hurry to go back to the hotel so I can pack up and check out before the cut-off time. Oh, and it's pay-first-before-burn.

After 20 minutes of aimlessly walking around, I went back to the shop. The guy took me to a side, pulled out my DVDs from his mailman bag, and that's it. Afternoon, I was planning to tour the Lake Gardens (Taman Tasik Perdana) behind the National Museum, and if I have more time, push on further and visit the National Monument (Tugu Negara). It was so hot the moment I stepped out of the hotel, I changed my plans. Visited the local shrine just beside the monorail station instead, then hitched a free shuttle bus ride back to KL Sentral. Spent the rest of the day working on my laptop at the lobby. One new thing I discovered - there's actually an airconditioned shuttle bus service going from KL Sentral to the airport. It leaves every hour on the hour, and it only costs RM10. Travel time is an hour though compared to KL Expres' 20 minutes, but would you rather pay RM35 or RM10?

No comments: