Monday, July 10, 2006

Konsert Klasik at Istana Budaya

To commemorate W.A. Mozart's 250th birthday anniversary, the Orkestra Simfoni Kebangsaan (National Symphony Orchestra) is having a Mozart's Greatest Hits concert at the Istana Budaya (National Theater) called Konsert Klasik. I got there quite early after work, so I decided to explore the nearby National Art Gallery. It was closed already, but I managed to take some photos of it's mural-lined walkway. Next on my list is the National Library, but for the life of me, I just can't find it. I asked a couple of locals, but interestingly, they understand not a word of what I'm saying. After some wandering around (and sweating loads), I ended up watching some guys play sepak-takraw at a park. On my way back to the National Theater, I finally figured out that I took a wrong turn. Rushed to the National Library, and it turns out that it's closed on Mondays. Oh well.

I entered the concert hall 10 minutes before 8:30pm. Had this been in Sydney, majority of the orchestra members would have been busy tuning their instruments and the audience settling down already. Not in KL. At 8:30pm, no one is on stage, and the concert hall is only a quarter full. When the concert proper finally started 15 or so minutes later, there are still lots and lots of unoccupied seats. Such a pity.

Full program as follows:

  • Overture: Marriage of Figaro
  • Symphony No. 40 in G minor: I. Molto Allegro
  • Requeim "Dies Irae" (Koir Kebangsaan/The National Choir)
  • Simfonia Concertante for Violin & Viiola: III. Presto (Maya Musaeva and Veronika Thoene)
  • Horn Concerto No. 4 in E flat Major: III. Rondo. Allegro vivace (Kim Vyacheslav)
  • "Welche wonne, welche List" from "Abduction from the Seraglio" (Syafinaz Selamat)
  • March of the Priests from "The Magic Flute"
  • Andante for Flute in C Major (Keiko Nakagawa)
  • Rondo for Flute in D Major (Keiko Nakagawa)
  • Ave Verum Corpus in D Major for Children Choir or Mix Choir (Koir Kebangsaan/The National Choir)
  • Divertimento in D for String Orchestra: III. Presto
  • Eine kleine Nachtmusik: I. Allegro
  • Overture: Don Giovanni
The concert is ok, but if I have to be frank, it's not as good as I hoped. The orchestra is performing as if they are rehearsing. You hear the right notes, but there's no life to it. The choir, however, is remarkable. So is the soprano, although she needs to put in more power and volume. The flute and horn solo performances need some improvement. I'm no expert flautist or "hornist", but I can tell that not all of that wind energy is being converted to sound. A lot of it is not being blown into the hole. Final comment to the guy sitting beside me across the walkway. There's no need to thump your feet and nod your head and sway your hands during every piece to show that you've heard it before. And they're not that good to merit your raptuous applause and outbursts of "Bravo!" either. Still not too bad at RM20.

No comments: