Saturday, June 10, 2006

Stars and Planets at the Opera House

Not 100% pleased with tonight's Stars and Planets concert at the Opera House. For one, it was raining - hard. Two, the only reason I bought the concert ticket is violin soloist Akiko Suwanai. I listened to her Dvorak/Sarasate CD before, and was very impressed, so this time I wanted to see her perform live in person. Guess what? She can't make it due to health reasons, and Mirijam Contzen was requested to stand in. Apparently, it's not a last-minute decision, as the programme had Ms. Contzen's bio in it. I'm just irritated that ticket holders (who registered with their email addresses) were not informed earlier. I could've at least managed my expectations a bit better. What's more, yesterday's concert was broadcast live on ABC Classic FM. It says so on the flyer. Had I known.....

Akiko Suwanai was supposed to play Vaughn William's The Lark Ascending and Saint-Saens' Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso. For Mirijam Contzen, she chose Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 2 in D, K211 and Ravel's Tzigane. I have to say I prefer Ms. Contzen's repertoire more. Here's the complete set:

  • Georges Lentz (born 1965): Ngangkar
  • W.A. Mozart (1756 - 1791): Violin Concerto No. 2 in D, K211
  1. Allegro moderato
  2. Andante
  3. Rondeau
  • Maurice Ravel (1875 - 1937): Tzigane - concert rhapsody
  • INTERVAL
  • Gustav Holst (1874 - 1934): The Planets, Opus 32
  1. Mars, the Bringer of War
  2. Venus, the Bringer of Peace
  3. Mercury, the Winged Messenger
  4. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jolity
  5. Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
  6. Uranus, the Magician
  7. Nepture, the Mystic
The first piece was terribly boring. Ngangkar (an Aboriginal word for 'stars') is supposed to represent the vastness of the Australian landscape and its beautiful night skies. To me, it sounds like random instruments taking turns playing a short sample. Almost all instruments in the orchestra were used, including the gongs. I half expected a didgeridoo to sound out - fortunately not.

Mirijam Contzen played well, but not as good as I expected. She has great control when playing fast movements - remarkable in Tzigane - but played quite a few double notes in the slow movements. Funny, but almost all female solo violinists I've seen wear off-shoulder numbers.

The Sydney Symphony did a splendid job with Holst's The Planets. Mars is loud, overbearing and brassy. Venus is tranquil and serene. Mercury is lively and spirited. I particularly liked Jupiter - wave after wave of happiness. HK-TVB uses a section of Jupiter for the opening sequence of its movies and TV series, much like THX' Deep Note, so it somehow got stuck in my head. Saturn sounds like a march - slow and solemn. Dunno how Uranus the Magician got its name. Neptune is truly mystical. At one point, I thought I heard human voices singing. I figured it was some instrument making a pretty decent simulation. Then it became clearer and clearer. I tried to locate the source, but it's coming from all around. It was only when a spotlight shone at the far left end of the dress circle did I see the choir. Great acoustics this concert hall.

One thing I'd like to mention. I've been to the concert hall a couple of times, and this is the first time I saw (and felt) the Grand Organ in action. It's supposedly the world's largest mechanical tracker action organ, and only 12 people in the world knows how to operate it. A guy went up to it, and played it during The Planets.

No comments: