Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Importance of Being Sarah Chang

Finlandia HallWith nothing else better to do tonight, I thought I'd catch a bit of culture. Helsinki This Week tells me Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest is playing at the Savoy Theatre. It's being staged by a local theatre group called MaDraK. Fortunately for me, it's going to be in English (British, actually). Never heard of the group MaDraK before, and I've never seen how Finns do their plays, so I thought why not?

Finlandia HallI got to the ticket counter half an hour early because I don't want to miss out. Apparently, there's only one ticket price, 15 euros. I asked the lady at the counter to show me the seating plan so I can choose a good location. Oh, it's free seating. And what time should I come back so I can have first crack? She assured me there'll be lots of seats available, and that I can simply walk in 5 minutes before the show. She even suggested I have a think and come back later to buy my ticket.

HesburgerFirst rule in Salesmanship 101: Never give the customer a chance to have second thoughts on a potential sale. As I was munching on my Big Mac, (I wanted a Hesburger, but couldn't find it), I started thinking: "If the play's good, how come there are still lots of free seats?" Call it sheep/mob mentality, but I call it human nature. By the time I finished my fries, I've decided to sample a different form of culture/entertainment.

Sarah Chang's Fire and IceFor an additional 2.50 euros, I watched a concert by the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra at Finlandia Hall, featuring soloist Sarah Chang and conductor Lawrence Foster. I find it quite surprising that majority of the audience are way older than me, and like 90% are in formal attire. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed Sarah Chang on her Fire and Ice CD (conducted by Placido Domingo), and tonight she didn't disappoint. She looked magnificent - white skin on off-shoulder black dress. And she played well, too. :-) Just before she started her solo part, she even limbered up her arms and neck, just like an athlete would. Her playing time was relatively short, but ferocious and passionate way that she played more than made up for it.

Complete programme as follows:

  • Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827): Egmont Overture, Opus 84
  • Max Bruch (1838 - 1920): Violin Concerto No. 1 in G minor, Opus 26
  1. Allegro moderato
  2. Adagio
  3. Allegro energico
  • George Enescu (1881 - 1955): Octet in C Major, Opus 7

Didn't bother to bring along my camera because I assumed I wouldn't be allowed to take pictures inside the concert hall. I checked with the lady at the door, and my assumption was wrong. Hooray for camera phones.

No comments: