Sunday, February 19, 2006

Romantic Visions with Willoughby Symphony Orchestra and Choir

Willoughby Symphony OrchestraI was so taken up with classical music (again) that I took out a year's subscription of the Willoughby Symphony concerts, plus the Sunday Soiree series.

The first concert for the year entitled Romantic Visions didn't go too well for me though. For one, I got to the venue 5 minutes late, after a sprint from the parking lot. The ushers won't let me in until the first piece was over. I was sweaty and panting, and when I got in, they wouldn't let me take my pre-assigned seat as it might disturb other people, so I had to settle for the back rows. What upset me was the fact that other late entrants were heading straight for their seats. One of the ladies was watching me closely so I can't make my move.

But once the orchestra started playing again, these little things don't matter anymore. Now I actually prefer the back seat because you get to see and hear the orchestra playing as a whole. Special mention goes to soloist Alexey Yemtsov, who played Grieg's Piano Concerto in A Minor quite nicely. He also treated the audience to a couple of encore pieces, which I was not able to identify.

Programme below:

  • Weber Der Freischutz: Overture
  • Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 16
  • Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64
  1. Andante - Allegro con anima
  2. Andante cantebile, con alcuna licenza
  3. Valse: Allegro Moderato
  4. Andante maestoso - Allegro vivace

No comments: