Thursday, January 19, 2006

4-Node NSM Upgrade

Can't remember the last time I was awake for 33 hours straight. There were four servers to be upgraded - two of them I have already pre-built, and another two to be built from scratch. Pre-configuring the first two servers saved me a couple of hours, but still I have to migrate 3.5 million subscribers to an LDAP directory, and that takes time. After the migration, there are still little pieces of configuration here and there that needs to be remembered and done: change of IPs, add some static routes, crontabs, etc.

The other two servers are supposed to go in the next night (actually, tonight already), but no way am I going home to take a couple of hours' sleep, then come back to work again, so I pressed on. That's another two rounds of OS installation, package installation, patch installation, LDAP synchronization, configuration, etc. Finished everything by 3pm. Disconnect console cable. Close rack doors. Sign out. Drive home. Sleep.

No comments: