Friday, December 09, 2005

Two Hours in the Mall on the Mobile

Hands-free kit - never leave the office without it.

Hands-Free KitI was walking along George Street when the customer called. They attempted a WAP gateway cutover last night, but it didn't go too well, so they had to do a complete rollback. It's fingerpointing time, so they're wondering if I can join the teleconference. I would rather walk back to the office (which is 20 minutes away), and make the call, but they want to do it now, as in now. Thinking the sidewalk might be a bit noisy, I hopped into the World Square. It's not as quiet as I thought because the space is enclosed, and sounds from the shoppers echo. I hid behind an ATM machine. I took my position in a corner of the lifts section. The ambient noise was so bad the host asked the party responsible to mute his phone, which I promptly did. With my 6680 in mute mode, I can't use the speakerphone feature anymore. And this means I have to hold the phone to my ear for two whole hours, in case somebody asks a question directed at me.

By the end of two hours, my mobile is noticeably warm, my ear is definitely hot, and I'm sure I killed a few million brain cells by cellphone radiation.

No comments: