Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Swatch Labirinto

How often does one get to come across a Swatch AutoQuarz? Go in any Swatch Shop and you'll find the Originals, the Skins, the Chronos, the flik-flaks, the Beats, the Ironys, etc. but an AutoQuarz? I reckon it's as rare as a Swatch Solar. So when I saw the Labirinto (STK404) on sale, I just have to buy it.

Had a pretty nasty experience with Swatch's plastic battery compartment breaking off, that's why I'm using an Irony. I'm sure it's not gonna happen to the AutoQuarz because there is no battery! As the name implies, it's an automatic but it uses a normal quartz movement. Like an automatic, it uses a rotating weighted half-disc to generate energy (when you move your hands). But instead of storing this energy in a mainspring, it is used to power a micro-generator, which charges a capacitor, which in turn powers the integrated circuit, which makes the quartz crystal oscillate, which controls the timing of the stepper motor, which drives the gear train, which ultimately moves the hour, minute, and second hands.

The Labirinto's back cover is transparent, so you can actually see the rotating weight and a portion of the circuit board and the gears. I also noticed a silver disc which looks very much like a button battery. Hope it lasts as long as the watch.

3 comments:

Albert Ching said...

Wow! And I thought these spam messages are being posted by bots. Maybe they are, but they're just smart enough to beat Blogger's word verification feature.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I do not even know if this blog is still alive, but I would like to know if your swatch auto quarz is still alive, because I have thinked about buying one for everyday use.

You can contact me at:
probevision34 "at" hotmail "dot" com

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Beautifull Swatch STK404 Watch and Auto-Quartz.!!

I am Interested in get one Online, Does anyone knows where to buy one Online?

Thanks in Advance!

Juan Bosco