Saturday, September 24, 2005

Little India

Little India Art's BeltToday is supposed to be Malacca day, but I sort of got lost finding the bus station after getting off Lavender station. I do have a detailed map drawn by a friend, but some of the street names were mixed-up. Took me an hour before I found the bus station where the Singapore-Malacca Express buses are. By then, it was too late in the day to make the trip. No worries - it only means that tomorrow will be smooth sailing all the way. I decided to explore Little India and Chinatown instead.

Flower Garland ShopNever been to India, but I reckon Little India should be very close to the real thing. Getting off the Little India MRT station, the place is just packed with cars and people. Indians outnumber the Chinese 50:1. (Just my own estimate; don't quote me on that.) Beside the station is the Tekka Market, filled with stalls selling household items, bargain clothes and shoes, fresh vegetables and meats. Next stop is Little India's Arts Belt along Kerbau Road. Here you'll find Art Deco-style shophouses selling Indian crafts, jewelry, traditional clothes, textiles, flower garlands, etc.

Masjid Abdul GafoorThere are two mosques that are quite famous in Little India: Masjid Abdul Gafoor and Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple. Masjid Abdul Gafoor is quite impressive with its Moorish-Islamic architectural style and its yellow-and-green color scheme. At the entrance is a sunburst design with 25 rays donating the names of the 25 chosen Prophets. Remember to take off your shoes before approaching the mosque - something which I don't suggest on a sunny day as the polished floor can burn your bare feet. (I'm speaking from experience here.) Sri Veeramakaliamman TempleWhen I got to the Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple, it was still closed. (The temple is closed from 12:30pm to 4pm daily.) The temple is dedicated to Kali, Goddess of Power and incarnation of Lord Shiva's wife. Tuesdays and Fridays are when the temple is at its most active. For now, I have to be content with taking pictures of the main facade.

No comments: