Saturday, April 09, 2005

Third Swatch Lucky

They say a watch says a lot about a person. I wonder what my Swatch Irony says about me?

I bought my first Swatch in Manila back in 2003. It's a Once Again, and I bought it at a discount. Swatch prices are pretty much the same everywhere, and they rarely give discounts. They had a sale that one time because it's their 10th anniversary in the Philippines. I liked the Once Again model because the design is very simple and classic. Black plastic strap and body, white face, black markers and hands. The hands and markers are glow-in-the-dark, and there's even a magnified day/date window. A few weeks later, the plastic groove holding the battery cover in place started to crack. There were more cracks after a few days, and the cover came off, rendering the watch useless. Thinking maybe it's an old stock, and the plastic becoming brittle, I had the watch replaced. After a few weeks of normal usage, the same thing happened again. Applying super glue on the affected areas didn't help. It took weeks of persistent nagging before Swatch agreed to a refund.

And it's not like these Swatches are cheap. For the same amount of money, I could've bought a pretty decent classic Seiko or Casio (with a metal strap too, although I prefer leather). But I have to have a Swatch. To make sure nothing breaks apart this time, I bought an Irony. I was supposed to buy a Twirl Black when I was in Kuala Lumpur, but I ran out of shopping time. It turned out to be even cheaper at the Changi Airport Duty Free. Solid stainless steel casing, black face, silver markers, luminous-white hands and digits, bright-red second hand, and date function. Hope this one lasts longer.

No comments: