Friday, April 22, 2005

The Magpie and the Pigeon

Yesterday on my way to work, I saw this magpie, pecking away at something on the side of the road. I thought it was a piece of rag or something. I took a closer look, and it turned out to be a brown pigeon. I shooed the magpie away. The pigeon was actually still alive! The magpie had been plucking out its feathers one by one, to get to the meat I guess. I was so angry I could've struck out at the magpie if I had a stick or something. I mean, it's not even dead yet!

The pigeon was injured and couldn't walk/fly away. And the magpie was just standing there - staring at me, waiting for me to leave the scene of the crime, so it can continue its dastardly deed. I approached the magpie until it finally went away. I picked up the pigeon, and left it on a grassy lot. (Pets are not allowed in the office.)

Today, I passed by the same place, and the pigeon is still there. But it's not moving anymore. Goodbye, bird-eat-bird world.

No comments: