Saturday, November 27, 2004

Google Desktop Search Is a Good Thing™

This Google Desktop Search thing is really a saviour.

So I was browsing away on my laptop when Windows (W2K Professional) suddenly blue-screened on me. Fine, what's new? The next time I booted up my PC, one particular text file is gone. That is where I put all my passwords, my to-do list, my reminders, phones numbers, web links, books to read, movies to watch, technical procedures, random thoughts, funny jokes, Nybble drafts, etc. Yeah, I know it's a lousy way to file away information, but hey, it makes information retrieval a piece of cake. Only one file to browse. (And one file to lose.)

I thought, Windows should definitely have a temp or backup file of it somewhere. File search turned up nada. Then I noticed this colorful swirly icon sitting on my system tray. Google Desktop Search? I have the impression that it only searches for and indexes current files, but wok the heck? I've nothing more to lose.

Entering the filename into the search box yielded 203 cached copies of that file, even though it's currently MIA. Google's snapshots were only able to give me a partial file, but it's definitely better than nothing. Thank you, Google.

P.S. Shares of Google, which debuted at $85 in mid-August, are currently trading at $175.28.

3 comments:

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SEO said...

Its got to be seo.